Friday, October 02, 2009

I wanna be Mary.

I used to hate this story in the Bible. I got annoyed that Jesus didn't appreciate the hard work that Martha did for Him. Mary flipping did NOTHING! Imagine working really hard and then being told that you shouldn't have bothered? I would be pissed right off!

But the more I think about Mary sitting at Jesus' feet, the more I get it.

What's the point of all the rushing around and working hard if I'm not taking time out? I don't mean making sure I don't get burnt out. I mean, what's the point of it all if I'm not sitting at Jesus' feet?

I love that image - sitting at someone's feet. Totally a sign of respect. Being eager to listen to what they have to say. But even more intimately, it's just about being in their presence. You know those people who you're so comfortable with that you can just sit in silence? I wonder how comfortable we are with Jesus? Are we comfortable with that silence of sitting and waiting?

I am learning to be more of a Mary than a Martha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home