Monday, May 18, 2009

What will I be remembered for?

Not particularly that I want people to look back on my life, crying and saying, "Oh GOSHHHH...Clare was so amazing!" Haha. (that actually makes me laugh out loud as I'm reading that back to myself...) But I have a responsibility to think about the things that I will be remembered for. Because I can shape them however I like.

Two months before he was assassinated, Martin Luther King talked about what he would like someone to say at his funeral. He didn't want to mention the Nobel Peace prize, or any other of those big achievements:

"Id like somebody to say that Martin Luther King tried to give his life serving others... I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity. Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say I was a drum major for justice. Say that I was a drum major for peace, I was a drum major for righteousness. And all the other shallow things will not matter. I wont have any money to leave behind. I wont have the fine and luxurious things of life to leave behind. I just want to leave a committed life behind. And thats all I want to say...
If I can help somebody as I pass along, if I can cheer somebody with a word or song, if I can show somebody hes travelling wrong, then my living will not be in vain. If I can do my duty as a Christian ought, if I can bring salvation to a world over wrought, if I can spread the message as teh Master taught, then my living will not be in vain."

What do I want to be known for?

My great taste in music? My awesome sense of humour and wisdom? Haha. Do I want to be known as a people lover? Do I want to be known for my actions. Do people see my as a person of integrity. Will people mock my life or be pointed towards something far greater than myself?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home