Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spiritual Experience?

I just had a spiritual experience whilst sat on the toilet.

You know those times when you just feel like you had a revelation? Something dawns on you? The lightbulb switches on?

I was reading (totally my favourite pastime right now - reading on the loo) and learning about community and three things that can make it Christ-centred (based on the verse that says, "Where two or more are gathered in My name, there I shall be."):

1. Intentional - a purposeful thing, in 'His name', otherwise we become just another gathering.
2. Spiritual - the presence of God is central to what goes on.
3. A safe place - welcoming, inclusive, a place of belonging.

It wasn't even church that I was thinking of. But just hanging out with other Christians. Do I display those qualities? Do I WANT to display those qualities??!

I used to not enjoy spending time with certain people. To the point where I'd walk away at the end and feel like crap. And I just though, "This isn't how it should be! I should be encouraged when I spend time with these people." A friend once told me that a certain group of his mates often banter, but sometimes too much. They go too far. They are Christians but they don't really talk about God a lot. He said that he feels deflated sometimes after spending time with them.

I don't like that. I want to spend time with my friends, have a laugh, but leave being thankful for seeing them. Not frustrated because they've made me feel like poo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home