Thursday, June 25, 2009

In response to Helen

Helen wrote this recently:

"I have noticed in the last few weeks that the class holds back. There seems to be this consesus of fear that we can't get to personal, we cant get to excited or passionate by what we are saying, that we are too afraid to offend. (i say we but i dont really count myself, i have no shame)

We have some peace makers in our year, who as soon as things get heated ask us all to calm down, and you know sometimes i think this can be bad, it can lead to feelings of resentment of unresolved annoyance and the people who were discussing. I feel that our lecture room should be a safe place to talk things over, and if need be get annoyed with each other and not always take it personally. But maybe thats because when we are in discussions i usually detach myself from my arguments. hmmm."

This is so interesting. Because I LOVE discussing. Sometimes I am afraid of saying what I really feel, normally because of the impression afterwards that I am 'wrong'. However, I am not afraid to play devil's advocate. I don't mind stirring things up, merely because I want to know WHY somebody believes something. In the same way, I want to be challenged about why I believe what I do. Its so hard to have someone say something, and then for you to be willing and open enough to say, "well, I hadn't thought about that." That takes guts. It takes humility.

I wanna see more of that. People less willing to have the last word and more willing to listen!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you do it too, i think you should come back to uni and join my class!!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you think the same way as me!

10:48 PM  
Blogger clarebear said...

Funnily enough, I was one of the quietest in my class!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home